The science of Environment studies is a multidisciplinary science because it depends on various disciplines like chemistry, physics, medical science, etc. It is the science of physical phenomena in the environment. It is inherently a multidisciplinary field that draws upon not only its core scientific areas, but also applies knowledge from other non-scientific studies such as economic, law and social science.
- To understand the flux of material and energy interaction.
- To construct mathematical models of environment.
- To understand the molecular interactions in the system.
- To describe the effects within the plant and animal kingdom and their diversity.
4. Atmospheric Science:
- To examine the phenomenology of the Earth's gaseous outer layer with emphasis upon interrelation to other systems.
- It comprises meteorological studies, greenhouse gas phenomena, airborne contaminants, sound propagation phenomena related to noise pollution, and even light pollution.
- To analyse the dynamics among an interrelated set of populations, or a population and some aspects of its environment.
- These studies could endangered species, predator interactions, effects upon populations by environmental contaminants, or impact analysis of proposed land development upon species viability.
6. Environmental Chemistry:
- To study the chemical alterations in the environment.
- Principal areas of study include soil contamination and water pollution.
- The topics of analysis involve chemical degradation in the environment, multi-phase transport of chemicals and chemical effects upon biota.
- It includes environmental geology, environmental soil science, volcanic phenomena and evolution of the earth's crust.
- In some classification systems, it can also embrace hydrology including oceanography.
8. Mathematics and Computer Science:
- It will help in environmental modeling and analysis of environment related data.
- It deals with economical aspects of various components of environment.
- It helps in framing of environment related laws, Acts, rules and their monitoring.
11. Social Science:
- It helps in dealing with population and health related issues.